Patients with Diminished Ovarian Reserve and Covid-19
During the Covid-19 pandemic that the whole world was struggling, our top priority wass undoubtedly to get through this period in a healthy way with our loved ones.
On the other hand, it is worth mentioning that a special group of patients were faced with psychologically challenges with in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment: especially patients with a low ovarian capacity or advanced age’…
Patients with weakened ovaries who were forced to postpone their treatment due to the pandemic were unfortunately dealing with intense stress in addition to the feeling of ‘being too late’.
While the negative effects of a diminished egg reserve and the factor of age are well known, the common opinion of reputable reproductive health associations and scientific publications is to postpone IVF treatments to the post-pandemic period.
During these days when you have had to postpone your treatment plans, you can rest at home as much as possible and follow these recommendations below:
- Drink enough fluids throughout the day (especially 2-2.5 liters of water daily).
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, and tobacco products.
- Reduce caffeine intake (coffee, tea).
- Pay attention to your sleep routine (relaxation-breathing exercises before bedtime and some herbal teas can help you fall asleep, especially during this period when the day-night rhythm is affected).
- Try to focus on a diet rich in antioxidants/vitamins to strengthen your ovaries (especially a diet focused on vegetables). Stay away from high-calorie carbohydrates, processed foods, and excessive consumption of animal products.
- With light exercises you can do at home, you can help your blood/lymph circulation, bowel movements, and weight control on one hand, while on the other hand, the meditative effect of exercise can calm your mind and control your anxieties.
- You can continue with the vitamins/supplements that your IVF doctor previously recommended.
- When cleaning your hands, remember that the first step is to wash your hands thoroughly with soap; by choosing well-known products with good chemical compositions, you can help protect your general health and reproductive health.
During this challenging period, staying in touch with your doctor and nurse can increase your support and motivation.
We hope to see you in healthy days…